Saturday, March 13, 2010

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, beauitiful Boy!

My God! I cannot believe it. It's been over a week since I went through the most increadable experience ever! Things didn't exactly go the way I had expected but I was so happy with the outcome. At 7 am on Thursday March 4 I woke up in Labor. I wasn't sure I was in labor, but I was keeping track of the contractions and they were at the 5-1-1 timing. (Contractions lasting 1 min 5 minutes apart for 1 hour) but I still wasn't convinced. I spoke to my mom I spoke to my sister in law and was still uncertain. I mean I've never done this before I don't know!
So anyway things continue through the day. James goes to work and I get up and shave my legs! I know. What woman in labor thinks about shaving her legs, but damn it! I was going to feel confidant and good during labor, and for me, shaving my legs helps me with that.
So! I get a bag packed, have a bag for baby and I make sure I'm drinking tons of water, I'm resting as much as possible but sleep is not happening. I tried and after 30 minutes I woke up due to contractions. There was no rest. Ok!
James comes home from work I tell him that I'm in labor but that I don't feel overwhelmed or anything and that I want him to go to rehearsal as opening night for Salem:1692 is March 5th. He agrees to go but makes me promise to call him if things change. I promise I will!
He goes to rehearsal comes home and is able to get about an hours sleep.
At 2:30 am I tell him I need to go to the hospital. So we get our stuff and take off. We get into triage and sure enough I am in labor and 5 cm dilated. YAY! I came in right when I wanted to! we get to our room and first thing I am in the tub! After calling my mother to tell her I am at the hospital!
I relax in the tub as long as possible and then no position is comfortable.
We'll slip ahead as the next several hours are filled with Danette doing everything I can to breathe and relax with my mom and James doing everything they can to help me.
Basically I was in labor over 30 hours. 30 hours of no sleep and no rest or pause in the contractions. I finally realized that I would not be able to be relaxed and enjoy the birth of my son without an epidural. It was a tough choice, but I am glad that I had the help. As soon as the medication kicked in I was able to sleep. And it wasn't the epidural that took away all sensation. I could move my legs and still feel when I had a contraction and still feel my baby. All it did was remove the intense pain I felt.
I'm proud of how I did though. I knew I wanted to have a natural birth, but I also knew that I didn't know how I would react to labor. And I knew that I had options to help me.
When it came time for him to come out, I really tried not to so much push, but really breathe and help him move down and out. And after 40 minutes, my son was born at 1:06 pm on March 5. He was 8 lbs 8 oz and 20 in. long. All in all perfect. I was smiling as he came out. I was able to feel him coming, they set up a mirror for me and I saw the top of his head as he crowned.
The experience was so amazing!
My little boy is such a sweet, wonderful baby and I am awestruck every moment I look at him. Every facial expression is priceless and every sound, even his cries, are music.


  1. Dont you feel like super woman? I remember after having Presley I was on cloud 9. I had the attitude like I just had a baby and I can do anything. My epideral was the same. I could still feel everything I just wasnt in pain. Congratulations mama. Youve done good.

  2. Wow! What a birth story!! I know how you feel. I wanted a natural birth with Wesson and ended up with a epidural and a c section! He is such a cute little man! I love his lips in that last picture! He looks so cute cuddled up with his momma!! You go girl!!

  3. He is the exact same weight and length as Scarlett. How big was his head? I am glad you got through it, the epidural was pretty much a requisite for me, and I ended up having to have an emergency c section.

    he looks wonderful! I'm happy for you.